Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shelving makeover

We had a bit of a makeover weekend (ie we cracked open the white paint) at our house and it was so much fun. I'd had these cheap and nasty shelves for such a long time that I can't even remember why I bought this colour since I've never been a fan. Up until recently it was in the wardrobe of the kids' toy room, but I decided that instead of buying a new chest of drawers for the main bedroom, I would give this one a make over.
So here is what it looked like in the beginning -


It actually had a back on it but I decided I preferred it open as it made it appear less dark. So we wiped it down thoroughly, gave it a light sand and then applied an undercoat. We were intending to use the hubby's new air spray gun but since the undercoat was so thick it kept on clogging it up. So we had to use rollers.



So the next day we gave it another light sand and then gave the air spray gun another shot. Thankfully this time it worked and was sooo much faster. It also has a much nicer finish than a roller. Here it is drying out in the lovely winter sun after the second coat.


It was a very looong and painful wait to allow it to dry, but I was very patient and waited 4 days before I put anything on it. Now it's sitting in the main bedroom all dressed up with a few of my favourite things.



It will eventually move to the adjacent wall (when my son moves to his big boy room) and will have a gorgeous new flat screen tele on top, but for now I am so happy with how it turned out. It was well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment